News of the coming weather front joyfully relayed by the smiling forecaster was sounding ominous for the first full ride of the season. High winds, snow and/or hail on high ground. “I hope we don't go anywhere that's high up and exposed” I thought to myself.


Paul Manning had pulled out from leading the ride and Mike and Fliss had kindly agreed to step in at short notice. When I arrived at about 9:45 at McDonalds Brislington with the fully fueled Sprint, Mike and Fliss were already chatting to an early bird. As I slid off the Shoei and excavated the earplugs (checking for any particularly interesting shapes in the globules of wax), other bikes began to roll up. Many of the hardcore regulars were obviously off 'mothering' somewhere and there were as many new faces as there were old hands. We nodded our way, Churchill-like, through the pre-ride briefing and when the assembled group was asked if anybody had any questions, no hands went up. It appeared that we had a sharp, switched-on set of riders (rather than a painfully shy group of idiots). The master plan was revealed; we were riding to Avebury; that well known tourist destination set on high, exposed ground. Barring snow, we'd be back by 3PM.


The ride away from civilisation was largely uneventful, following the A4174, A420 up past Cold Ashton, Marshfield and then though Ford and on towards Chippenham. The pace was steady and the weather still quite good, so it was an opportunity to enjoy a cruise across the sweeping roads punctuated by the occasional tractor splatter. We skirted around Chippenham and headed out through Calne on the A4 towards Avebury. We passed Silbury Hill. On entering Marlborough, the convoy pulled in near the leisure centre opposite a gorgeous old church. The patchy sun was just throwing the stone of the building into relief and it looked wonderful – in a purely secular way of course. After a brief conference, the group turned round and set off the way it had come. We passed Silbury Hill. Heading in the opposite direction, the wind became much more apparent. Positioning became a game of random movement corrected by quick counter steering inputs. The bigger the fairing, the better the sail. Even my 95 kilo bulk couldn't keep the Sprint tracking in a dead straight line.


We parked up off the High Street in Avebury and strolled round to the National Trust café. Armed with hot drinks and warming soup, we sat outside in the (nearly) spring sunshine, its warmth managing to cancel out most of the effects of the cold wind. I sipped my Latte while Steve told me about the best projectiles to use in a firearm if you want to cause maximum damage. Hollow point is the hit man's friend and a rabbit's worst enemy (other than a man with a pair of shears and an ear fetish of course). Fliss asked me if I'd follow Stuart for a while. She wanted him to get some experience of having strange men follow him (at least I think that's what she said). It made a change to be observing again and it gave me something to occupy my mind during our next stint. My period of observation was interrupted by one of our number dropping in 5 feet behind Stuart at 60MPH and staying there, but through the stagger, I could still see Stuart riding to an excellent standard.


The next phase of our route took us north on A4361 towards Broad Hinton. Stuart and I were immediately behind Mike when we arrived at a junction. I stopped, expecting Stuart to stop as well, but he obviously decided that the group was close enough together not to bother with a marker. I fell to the back of the group and then switched into Oz mode. At least it gave me a chance to 'make some progress' up to the front of the group and back behind Stuart again. Gusts of wind continued to shove us around like a giant hand and I saw the first few splats of sleet on my visor. Our route then went through Round Roughton and along the B4005 next to the M4 to the edge of Wooton Bassett. After continuing along B4696, through Purton onto the B4553, through Cricklade and then off the A419 to the cafe at the Gateway Centre, we arrived at out next coffee stop. As we got inside, the heavens opened and it rained like an industrial sprinkler system on full blast. This was Mike's opportunity to wander along the queue for coffee asking people “Did you see Sally's Pussy?”. I've since found out that the pub near Wooton Bassett Hound he was referring to is actually called Sally Pussey's – much less amusing [giggle]. When we left, it had stopped raining - what timing.


The return leg of our journey set off to the South West down through Minety and onto the B4040 followed by a scenic tour of Malmesbury (GPS capture shown). Further highlights included the B4040 to Sherston, Luckington, Acton Turville, the A46 until just before the M4 and then right onto the B4465.

I separated from the group and went left at Westerleigh towards Pucklechurch, weaving my way home through Oldland. The remaining riders in the main group finished at the Beefeater after a total of 114 miles.


I have some scribbled notes from Fliss and I need to mention that in addition to seeing Silbury Hill, twice, we also saw a white horse, the Ridgeway and West Kennet Long Barrow. In addition, Fliss would like to say “As we only had 36 hours prep time, we couldn't recce the route. As a result, we didn't know of a road closure. Many thanks to those who helped Mike navigate, especially Steve Rice and Stuart Wren. Thanks also go to Alan Davies, who was Tail End Charlie.”


I'd like to say thanks very much to Mike and Fliss for stepping in to lead the ride at short notice and that I was having so much fun that I didn't even notice the road closures, U-turn or constant stops for route checks.

Comments