If you're not a biker, this won't mean much

Kate and I arrived back yesterday from a little jaunt up to Knockhill for the BSB races. We took a day-long ride up, including the Lake District on our route and a few comfort stops along the way. Even(!) the lowlands of Scotland are beautiful and Dumfries is a gorgeous place. I once went deer hunting and trout fishing there - although not simultaneously as it's rather difficult to creep up on a deer with a fishing rod. In fact it's bloody difficult with a high powered rifle that you've just used to punch a neat hole in a practice target at 200 yards. They can smell you. Well, they could smell me anyway. Bambi doesn't like Polo. The A702 is a nice cruising road. It has rolling hills as a backdrop and a good mix of straights and sweeping bends. It's one of those roads that has the kind of visibility that allows you to make good time across country on whilst admiring the scenery with relaxed glances off to the side.

On the way home I realised something; I've successfully reprogrammed myself. Nearing home and travelling on the roads near Monmouth that I know reasonably well, a combination of many miles travelled that day and the desire to be home quickly meant that I was entering some corners slightly hotter than I had planned. If you're astute, that turn of phrase gives the game away. Not TOO hot, just hotter - I no longer panic and stiffen up, I just cooly crank it over a bit more. I've always been a big fan of Keith Code and other riding gurus and have generally taken the same approach to learning about riding that I have to my Open University studies. I've consciously been applying many techniques (smooth throttle application through the corner, late/quick turning, dropping the shoulder, looking where you want to go etc., etc.) and some of those have taken root and grown on their own. Does this make me a riding God? No, but it does make me a better rider and that's something that I can feel satisfied about.

Comments

Womble said…
There's not much that beats the satisfaction of taking a corner or bend smoothly, like you're on rails :o)
Spikey said…
Sounds like a damn fine day to me mate :o)